Tongan Beach

Tongan Beach

Friday, April 1, 2016

Week 25: Office-I will continue to faithfully invite, testify, and preach till the sun goes down

Dear recipients. 

So today I am happy for the opportunity to email about what has transpired during my week. In Tongan I would translate that sentence too, Ahoni, oku ou fiefia koe'uhi ae faingamalie ke Imaili fekau'aki mo ko e ha na'e hoko lolotonga ae uike kuo os i. I didn't look at my journal and so my summary might be a little stodgy this week.
We had our recent converts bless the sacrament on Sunday. That was really exciting and required a little effort in getting them to church, but they did a really wonderful job. The ward members were really helpful and I think they are taking to the new guys. Hopefully they will start making some friends there. I'm betting that these guys will be stake presidents someday. Siane maka, ehh? So we will continue to teach them and share what we can and hope for the best.
In other news, our favorite investigator M, or as he likes to call himself, Chief Investigator Evans, moved out of our little Mormon community and moved to the big city (big is not a proper term; using the word city is even stretching the limits). His Lady Friend also flew into Tonga, and now they are staying together which proves to be a stumbling block in my plan of helping him to come to the Gospel. Nevertheless, Lieutenant Stark is in command and I will continue to faithfully invite, testify, and preach till the sun goes down and the great Jehovah shall say, "The work is done." But actually, this turned out to be an interesting change because out of nowhere M told us that he really wants us to share our message with his Lady. So one thing lead to another and we set up a day after they got done in the dentistry and we sat down outside on some benches and shared our message. She was really responsive and even though she doesn't quite believe in God, she understood everything and committed to pray and read the Book of Mormon, so I am really excited. She's a nice girl and will make M a great wife one-day.
For me this week has been somewhat difficult. Tongans do not seem to have the same drive/determination/effort level that I am used to. There is nothing wrong with this, but I tend to enjoy doing lots of work where as other people enjoy resting and taking it easy. I'm not going to lie and say I am a machine and don't get tired or anything like that. I am honestly lazy and enjoy resting, but there is something satisfying about coming home after a long day, feeling exhausted and just knowing you did good work today, then relaxing and sleeping great that night. Plus, it took a lot of work to come out here on the mission and I had a lot of opportunities to quit and go home. I feel like if I’m going to dedicate 2 years of my life to this service, then I’m going to give it all I got and go until I’m drop. It just doesn’t seem worth it to me to do this unless I give it my all. Then it's just a waste of 2 years. I read this really wonderful talk by some guy. Can’t remember right now; it's called the Fourth Missionary. I recommend that everyone read it. It teaches a lot about a mission, but also talks about how to live your life and it pretty much comes down to faith and then charity and hope, which is really important.
With the other Elders in the office we have been having a great time, but the work has slow down a little bit. That's about all I can think of right now; my brain is fried. Sorry peoples, I love you all. Send me pictures of yours lives!


Elder Sitaki



No comments:

Post a Comment